MAX232IN Part Information
The MAX232 device is a dual driver/receiver that includes a capacitive voltage generator to supply TIA/EIA-232-F voltage levels from a single 5-V supply. Each receiver converts TIA/EIA-232-F inputs to 5-V TTL/CMOS levels. These receivers have a typical threshold of 1.3 V, a typical hysteresis of 0.5 V, and can accept ±30-V inputs. Each driver converts TTL/CMOS input levels into TIA/EIA-232-F levels.
- ESD Protection Exceeds JESD 22 u2013 2000-V Human-Body Model (A114-A)
- Low Supply Current: 8 mA Typical
- Meets or Exceeds TIA/EIA-232-F and ITU Recommendation V.28
- Operates From a Single 5-V Power Supply With 1.0-u00b5F Charge-Pump Capacitors
- Operates up to 120 kbit/s
- Two Drivers and Two Receivers
- Upgrade With Improved ESD (15-kV HBM) and
- u00b130-V Input Levels
|Device Type||RS232 Transceiver|
|IC Interface Type||RS232|
|No. of Drivers||2Drivers|
|No. of Receivers||2Receivers|
|Supply Voltage Min||4.5V|
|Supply Voltage Max||5.5V|
|Driver Case Style||DIP|
|No. of Pins||16Pins|
|Operating Temperature Min||-40°C|
|Operating Temperature Max||85°C|
|Automotive Qualification Standard||-|
|IC Generic Number||MAX232|
|SVHC||No SVHC (27-Jun-2018)|
|RoHS Phthalates Compliant||Yes|
|Operating Temperature Range||-40°C to +85°C|
|Supply Voltage Range||4.5V to 5.5V|
|Termination Type||Through Hole|
Alternative Part Descriptions
- Line Transmitter/Receiver 2TR 2TX 2RX | RS Components
- RS232 DRIVER / RECEIVER, DUAL, 16DIP; Device Type:RS232 Transceiver; IC Interface Type:RS232; No. of Drivers:2Drivers; No. of Receivers:2Receivers; Supply Voltage Min:4.5V; Supply Voltage Max:5.5V; Driver Case Style:DIP; No. of RoHS Compliant: Yes | Newark Electronics
- 5-V dual channel 120kbps RS-232 line driver/receiver with +/-9V output & +/-2-kV ESD protection | Texas Instruments
RS232 is, in many ways, a living fossil. While the relatively low data rates don't qualify the protocol as a high-speed communication interface, it's robustness and ease of implementation nevertheless make it attractive.
One of Dallas Maxim's absolute evergreens is the MAX232- a nifty transceiver IC which makes use of a capacitor based voltage boosting circuit to generate the voltage levels needed for fullly protocol compliant RS232 communication.
Having a second source makes evergreens even more popular. Texas Instruments is an international semiconductor powerhouse, and has been offering a second source alternative for quite some time. If you ever need to perform a fully protocol compliant RS232 communication and don't have access to the needed voltage levels, don't burden your design with complex boost regulators.
Instead, do it like the elders have done - a MAX232, a few capacitors, and have a happy day. The part is available in a DIP housing: convenient for small scale production and prototyping.